Newly Developed Mining Tour
The Right-of-Way Mine Tour is the most complete mine site located within the Cobalt Camp. During the tour, you will see much of the surface infrastructure needed in a typical mining operation.
In 1903, as the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway was being built through to the agricultural centre of New Liskeard, a blacksmith named Fred Larose was rumoured to be working at his forge when a pesky fox started lurking around. Annoyed with the visitor, Fred picked up his hammer and threw it at the fox, missing him but hitting the rock behind revealing its silvery treasure. Of course, this is just a legend. What is known is that during this time, rail workers at the south end of the lake discovered white flakey metal and after being identified as silver, started one of the greatest mining booms in Canadian history.
Fred Larose did find silver though, and his mine would become one of the most famous in Cobalt. His original blacksmith shop is still situated near the mine. His mine would go on to produce almost 30,000,000 ounces of silver, over 300,000 tons of cobalt and finance the development of Hollinger Gold Mine in Timmins.
The Right-of-Way Mine is situated just north of the Larose find, operating continually from 1906 until 1922, then off and on until 1958 when it was closed permanently by Agnico. Over its lifetime, it produced over 3,000,000 ounces of silver.
Tours are arranged through the Mining Museum throughout the summer season.
Tours times are: 10:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.
Cost is $ 15.00
Well worth it!!